Tuesday 1 October 2013

OUR FUTURE BEGINS NOW!

NIGERIA AT 53
          By the time I’m 53 years old, I hope to have achieved so many things among them being happily married to a wonderful woman; having adorable children to be proud of; being retired after a fruitful  medical career; having already visited some exotic places in the world with others in the offing. If I can achieve these basic things, then I will see myself as an immense success. These are things I hold dear to my heart and my birthday would have been an appropriate occasion to talk about them.
          Today, October 1st, marks the 53rd anniversary of the birth of an independent self-ruling nation. Nigeria existed prior to that but just as a device to maintain enough order and structure to facilitate the siphoning of our immense resources. That is simply my opinion but prior to that, Nigeria was ruled by foreigners with the participation of only a handful of Nigerians. On October 1st 1960, for the first time, the ship of the Nigerian State was manned and captained by Nigerians. That, by its own merit, is worth celebration.
          Many people are quick to point at the terrible things happening in Nigeria. The manic zeal with which labour unions take strike actions; the fact that Nigerians now get killed in their sleep and the perpetrators may yet get away with it; a president who appears unable to comprehend the magnitude of our situation; I could go on and on listing these problems but that’s not my aim. I only wish to remind us that we need to start thinking of a solution and how to execute such a solution. By ‘we’ I mean those of us too young to have witnessed any coup d’état or perhaps too young at the time to have known the meaning or implications.
          I have a dream that one day in Nigeria, political aspirants will debate ideas and not trade insults, accusations and counter accusations; our educational institutions will provide soundly educated minds; justice shall prevail; the kidnapping industry boom will be a dark chapter in our history; northerners and southerners will see themselves as partners in progress; Christians and Muslims will live peacefully together; the super eagles will win the world cup. Above all, I hope to see that day when Nigerians will stop seeing Nigeria as a golden goose, when paramount on our minds will be “how can I lift my nation higher?” and not “what benefit will I gain from Nigeria?”
          If I were alive on that historic day when we began our self-directed journey, my dreams would have been different. I would have dreamt of the time when Nigeria will call the shots on the international scene, in Africa and beyond. I still hope that day will come and if I’m lucky, I may witness it.
          Let us all remember, as we mark today’s anniversary in our different ways, that our situation requires us to be willing to do whatever is necessary to take over control of our country from those who will exploit us. As we celebrate our Independence from Britain, let us all start working, in our own little or great way, to make Nigeria truly independent and awaken this sleeping giant from its slumber.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY ANNIVERSARY

No comments:

Post a Comment